It is recommended that all educators participate in the Media Ready program's comprehensive, interactive, one-day Teacher Training Workshop conducted by certified iRT Media Ready trainers.
The topics covered are:
- General training in media literacy skills
- Specific training in media literacy skills as applied to substance use prevention
- Introduction to the research findings on the effectiveness of media literacy training for the purpose of substance abuse prevention
- Review of the theoretical model underlying the program’s development
- Guided discussion of each lesson and the accompanying materials
- Modeling of and interactive participation in the lesson activities, particularly in deconstructing advertisements and media messages
Fidelity to the Program
It is important to note that the results of any scientific or evidence-based trial are achieved through teachers being faithful to the program, meaning that teachers complete the training and also teach all ten lessons, over a period of approximately ten days. This fidelity to the program relates directly to the achievement of the intended goals of the program. It is highly recommended that all educators who intend to teach MR complete the training.
Contact Us about the Teacher Training Workshop
For additional information about the Teacher Training Workshop, please refer to the FAQ or contact the innovation Research & Training (iRT) Training Department at 919-493-7700.